Mountain Association Seeks Staff Accountant
The Staff Accountant will provide accounting support to Mountain Association’s programs and staff.
The Mountain Association invests in people and places in Eastern Kentucky to advance a just transition to a new economy that is more diverse, sustainable, equitable and resilient. Our Lending team offers loans to existing and startup businesses and organizations. We are a Community Development Financial Institution and a non-profit, so we can offer greater flexibility and lend to those who may not otherwise qualify. Our Business Support program connects business owners and nonprofit leaders to consultants who can help them succeed. Our Energy experts help businesses, nonprofits, public agencies and homeowners find much-needed energy savings through utility bill analysis, on-site energy efficiency and solar assessments, financing and grant application support.
The Mountain Association also engages in research, communications and advocacy for policy and narrative change, and works with partners on a variety of projects to demonstrate what’s possible in Eastern Kentucky.
Perform daily, weekly, monthly and annual accounting duties
- Perform daily and weekly accounting tasks, including but not limited to keying, filing and routine credit card management.
- Perform duties in accounts payable and accounts receivable.
- Perform payroll duties through the third party payroll processing service including; semi-monthly payroll, employee changes, qualifying events, new hire paperwork, open enrollment, and reviewing payroll tax returns.
- Assist with preparation for auditors.
- Perform a variety of monthly tasks needed for preparation of financial statements.
- Prepare annual indirect expense budget.
- Maintain and implement document retention policy.
- Assist finance team on special projects as directed.
- Assist with continuous improvement of accounting policies and procedures.
- Participate in finance and organization-wide meetings.
- Provide accounting duties in support of related organizations.
- Participate in internal contract review process, which maintains internal contract and other vendor files, and ensures consistency with accounts payable.
- Maintain inventory tracking system in coordination with technology manager.
- Provide backup and support for loan administration including ACH payments and bank draws as needed.
- Support overall operations team with functions such as guest services, mail distribution, bank deposits, and opening and closing procedures.
- Provide support related to grant administration.
- Engage with and participate in the Mountain Association’s journey to increase diversity, equity, and inclusion both in our workplace and our work.
- Perform all other duties, as assigned.
- Practice safety in all aspects of the job.
Minimum Qualifications and Characteristics:
Education and experience: Associates degree plus at least two years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Personal characteristics: Willingness and ability to work successfully on a team with diverse members. Strong organizational skills and attention to detail with high product accuracy. Ability to work on multiple projects at the same time with flexibility. Ability to learn quickly.
Technology and software: Familiarity with computers, e-mail and use of Internet. Word-processing and spreadsheet skills. Experience with office systems.
Communications: Good communication skills in person and on phone.
Physical: Close vision with or without corrective lenses necessary for computer work. Able to access filing cabinets, mail boxes (six feet in height), kitchen cabinets (six feet in height) and traverse stairs to second floor office space. Able to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects up to 10 pounds. General office work involves sitting most of the time but includes walking or standing for brief periods. Able to perform assigned duties in a time-efficient manner. Manual dexterity needed to type and to operate and maintain office equipment. Valid driver’s license and ability to drive. Either insurability on the Mountain Association’s group vehicle policy or access to a reliable vehicle for regular trips.
Preferred Qualifications and Characteristics:
Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business, office administration or related field plus at least two years of related experience. Familiarity with use and maintenance of office equipment. Interest in Mountain Association’s mission and programs.
The hourly compensation for this full-time position is $20-22, depending on education and experience. We also provide a generous benefits package. After the pandemic, this position will be based out of the Mountain Association’s Berea, Kentucky office. The Mountain Association is an equal opportunity employer. The Mountain Association is committed to principles of diversity and equity and encourages applications from all people.
Please e-mail your resume, contact information for three references, and a cover letter specifically explaining why you are a good fit for this position to email@example.com. Note: we will not contact your references until after interviews. Review of applications will begin on September 24, 2021 and continue on a rolling basis until the position is filled. The interview process will be conducted according to public health guidelines during the COVID-19 emergency, including the likelihood of remote interviews.
Because of the current public health emergency, at this time Mountain Association staff have the option to work in our office buildings if they’re fully vaccinated and the option to work from home regardless of vaccination status. Please do not let childcare challenges related to the pandemic deter you from applying. We recognize that not everyone has access to childcare right now because of the pandemic, so we are open to a conversation about the hours worked at the start of this position if you’re not able to start full time.
For more information about the Mountain Association, visit www.mtassociation.org. Please no drop-ins.
|Job Category||Finance & Operations|